View Single Post
Old 02-12-2015, 12:54 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi D,
Paper plates whenever you can. Anything that can be tossed or put on the recycle bin. I know we want to be environmentally conscious but, you need to care for yourself. Just try not to use styrofoam.

I keep one mug for coffee or tea and one glass on my kitchen counter, or next to me all day and keep reusing.

Also, maybe one of those grabbing devices with a handle. And, maybe leave glasses and dishes on a counter or shelf at easy to reach level, just throw a dish towel over them so they don't dusty.

If you do fill up your dishwasher or have pots and pans, it sounds like you live alone. Have any friends or neighbors you can ask for help or swap chores with.
My best friend and I do something we call "chore days" where we come to each others house and do things we hate to do or can't do. She is much healthier than me so she helps organize clothes closets and helps me throw out clothes instead of becoming a hoarder. I like to cook and she lives alone so she comes for meals. We just kind of work it out. It is also keeps either of us from being socially isolated.

Be creative....whenever I have a problem to solve, I pretend someone else has asked me the question and how would I answer for them.
Best of luck....I know modifications can be a drag but I always say to myself,
" well, at least I can still......". You fill in the blank for yourself....will make you feel better.

Take care, Diandra

p.s. clothes...I have an office chair on wheels that I roll the laundry basket on. I use it for each phase of laundry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daesin View Post
It seems that most of my daily activities require modification to get accomplished, with some severely modified. I have cut my hair from below my waist to near the shoulder just so I can wash and brush by myself. I have changed handles in the house to levers. I struggle to get dressed everyday so regular bras have long since gone out the window. Shirts are button up when possible and pants are drawstring. These are just some of the things I have done since being injured.

But, other things I find nearly impossible. My neck shoulder and arm are pretty useless due to nerve issues. So how do you get things done?
I know that you folks have dealt with more for far longer than me so I ask for your advice on daily skills. If you have any suggestions I am open and appreciative.

Most trouble comes from:
Washing dishes.
Loading/unloading dishwasher
Loading/unloading washer dryer
folding clothes

I am trying desperately to remain as independent as possible. I don't have the funds to hire anyone to help and insurance does not cover anything like that. So, anyone? Please?
Diandra is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ger715 (02-14-2015), Lara (02-15-2015), PamelaJune (02-14-2015)