View Single Post
Old 02-13-2015, 11:33 PM
Grand Magnate

8 yr Member
Grand Magnate

8 yr Member

Hi MelodyL

A couple of thoughts:

I stumbled upon the info that it can be caused by a mutation of the Card 14 gene in a person's body.

Abnormal forms of the protein coded for by the CARD14 gene have been linked to psoriasis. These proteins are expressed on various kinds of skin cells. There is a very technical but free-access account of this work here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22521418 .

I wonder if stem cell therapy would work on people with psoriasis.

My understanding of current biomedical knowledge suggests that stem cell therapy would not be effective for people with psoriasis. It can be effective for people with some blood cell cancers (it is called a bone marrow transplant in this context).

What is done for these patients is to treat them with a very high dose of a chemotherapeutic, which will kill all of the stem cells in the bone marrow which make blood cells (including those which make the cancerous blood cells).

A bone marrow transplant from a healthy donor will supply healthy stem cells which will make healthy blood cells.

As far as I know there is not yet any way of doing the equivalent for people with CARD14 mutations - there is no current way of selectively killing the various kinds of skin cells which make the abnormal form of CARD14 and replacing them with healthy skin cells.

Apologies if this is a bit technical.
kiwi33 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DejaVu (07-25-2015), MelodyL (07-23-2015)