Old 02-15-2015, 11:50 AM
Magnate

8 yr Member
Magnate

8 yr Member
Cool Smirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Statins have a very low marginal effect on HDL's. Not worth it IMO.

Fish oil will help raise these, and also is very good for lowering triglyerides.

Avoiding sugar and fructose also lowers cholesterol.
A small bit of alcohol a day has shown in some studies an HDL raising effect. But I hesitate to recommend alcohol.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/high-c...olesterol.aspx

However.... the research is showing that the HDL issues are not that critical. It all depends on who you read, these days.

Taking a statin to raise HDL IMO is foolhardy. Statins are very toxic to the body, and the tradeoffs for this use are huge and not in your favor. The day is just about here where the "new" non-statin drugs are going to replace the statins. People who have been on these toxic drugs for a long time, are going to be very very angry soon.
Thank you, MrsD,
As stated my good (HDL) cholesterol is 0.7, making my combined high - 9ish I think (memory fog). I was on Simvastatin from '08-'13 after a heart attack, and was left with a damaged heart, coronary ischaemia and microvascular disease.
In 2013 I was changed to Atorvastatin (Lipitor), 40mg a DAY, Tildiem Retard and ISMN which I cannot take (Cluster Headache trigger). In '14 I became Brady Hypotensive during an angiogram, then a chemically induced stress test.
My heart is a mess, my brain already has a lesion in the occipital area causing unstable, untreatable double vision. If I have to choose one to protect, it is my brain. My Mother developed Alzheimer's - total life memory loss, hallucinations - and I refuse to suffer like she did.
More and more I am questioning why a Consultant Cardiologist (not GP) has me on statins.
My Annual Review for all my conditions is coming up in a couple of months, that will give me the appointment time to resolve this to MY satisfaction.

Dave.
EnglishDave is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ger715 (02-15-2015), Lara (02-15-2015)