View Single Post
Old 02-15-2015, 11:03 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janieg View Post
Is she going through a growth spurt by any chance? I grew 3 inches when I was 13, and was in frequent discomfort. Sometimes when I would try to run, I'd get horrible foot and lower leg pain that would topple me. The same thing happened to a good friend (male) who was a year older than I was and also going through a growth spurt.
Don't know about a growth spurt, but since the pain started about when she started running, and several others on the team have similar pain, I think it is likely from that.

I have watched some youtube videos and one doctor said that actual 'shin splits' are rare but several other conditions are often called that. Probably is just an inflammation of muscles in the calf due to poor muscle balance and/or poor running form, the muscles not being strong enough to handle the poor form. There are stretches recommended and I think strengthening the muscles could help. This is all assuming it's not related to PN, but the pain matches the shin splint pain descriptions pretty well.
Ron
Electron is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote