View Single Post
Old 02-16-2015, 10:02 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Amit,

One major problem that occurs with root canaled teeth is the proliferation of infectious bacteria traveling into the periodontal ligament and bone from the infected necrotic nerve tissue that remains trapped inside the hundreds of inaccessible tiny canals. If the tooth is removed but the ligament and diseased bone is not, then the infection will continue to thrive even though the tooth is gone. Therefore, any tooth extraction requires the removal of the perio ligament and diseased bone to allow a positive outcome. Any diseased bone or tissue left in the area can contribute to a cavitation.

It is important to also know that any root canaled or infected tooth that is not extracted can also lead to a cavitation in the jaw bone as the infection travels into the ligament and beyond. When a root canaled or infected tooth has been retained in the mouth for any length of time, the risk of developing a cavitation even prior to the removal increases with the length of time that the tooth has been retained.

Any surgery performed any where on/in the body including the mouth needs to be sterile from the point of entry to the last suture. Leaving any remnants of debris or necrotic tissue or bone is not only unacceptable but it can have an impact on the immune system.

Cavitations are infections in the bone and they travel due to the vascularity of the bone. Any number of health problems can result from the spread of infection.

I cannot tell you if you should have the areas re-surgerized or not as there can be consequences with any type of surgery, even surgeries to fix a messed up surgery. A qualified dentist who is familiar with cavitations would be someone to consult. I would not suggest that you consult with a general dentist as it sounds like in India they may be lackin in their oral surgery education. Nor would I suggest that you have a general dentist attempt to perform a cavitational surgery. Do you have oral surgeons in your area? These are dentists who specialize in oral surgery?

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitsa View Post
Hi,

Can somebody answer my ques if the periodontal ligament is left in place and bone cavitations if any not scraped,what might happen ? How dangerous is it ? I am really worried because all dentists here in Mumbai blindly follow the dentists in the West.

Should I go for resurgery ?

-Amit.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote