View Single Post
Old 02-17-2015, 10:28 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Exclamation Need Help - ACFD Surgery

I fell going for a jog in the beginning of January and landed on my neck and shoulder area.
I was temporarily not able to move my arms or legs for about 5 - 10 seconds.
After that I was able to get up and thought I had hit my head.
The next morning I realized my head didn't hurt but my shoulders and arms (bicep area) did (had trouble moving my arms due to pain) and my neck was a little sore.
I had been moving furniture the day before and went to the gym later that night (night before the fall) and wasn't sure if the shoulder/arm pain was from moving furniture, the fall itself, or landing on my neck.
I went to the emergency room where they took MRI and X-rays, put me in cervical collar, gave me pain meds and sent me home the next night.
After resting for 6 weeks I have no pain or apparent neurological issues. A few days ago I had some residual slight discomfort in my shoulders and the very top of my left forearm near my bicep but it seems to have gone away.
I met with two neurosurgeons the first one wanted to do a C3 - C6 ACFD. The second doctor recommended a C3 - C4 ACFD, saying the other disks were herniated but not as much a problem. He said its good that I have no pain but the C3 - C4 disk is herniated compressing the spinal cord. He also said getting the surgery was optional.
He was worried that if I were to fall down the stairs or get in a car accident the injury could become worse and I could be paralyzed. He also said even if that didn't happen 10 - 15 years from now the herniated disk could become worse off and possibly cause some damage and then I would have to get the surgery anyway.

I was really hoping I wouldn't need surgery considering I have no pain.
Does any one have any advice for me being the surgery is optional?
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eva5667faliure (06-14-2015)