View Single Post
Old 02-18-2015, 09:18 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Hi Bryanna,
Thanks for your answers, and I agree with you, I should get it checked out rather sooner than later, to make sure nothing more serious is going on! On a positive note, I slept with a rolled towel under my neck last night, and on my back versus my stomach, as I have heard this can help relax the jaw area. And lo and behold, woke up with almost no discomfort, apart from some muscle ache on my TMJ. The feeling of pressure next to my nose has gone as well. So I am hopeful, that it IS really just some not too major TMJ issue. I did have digital x-rays done just a few months ago of all my teeth, and had an overall evaluation and my dentist had said that, apart from the infection in my root canals (that have been extracted now) my teeth and gums looked actually very healthy- with that being said, I will call him tomorrow (they are not open Wednesdays) to schedule an appt.
I kind of have become a bit of a dentist phobic, not in that I am scared of dentists or pain of the procedures, but that I am ultra careful with my teeth now, almost maybe too much? But maybe, the amount of care and thought I put into my oral health will be good, and I will become more relaxed once I get to a place where I feel my teeth and gums are doing well, and the way I am taking care of them, actually works and keeps them healthy. I really do not wish to loose any more teeth in the next 50 years or, for the rest of my life! ;-)
One question I have, I am sure you know a great answer to this one, I have asked my oral hygienist and looked it up on google, but am still somewhat confused: how do I correctly brush my teeth, so I get them clean without hurting the enamel, and my gums? I use an ultra soft toothbrush since some months now, as I had been brushing wayyyy to hard before, brushing off some of the protective layer and making my molars sensitive :-(. I did not know better. Also, I have ditched conventional tooth paste and either use homemade powder with herbs, or a paste called earth paste, which contains only coconut oil, essential oils, healing mud. But I do have some receeding gums on my lower front teeth I noticed. It's not super bad, but I can see the neck of the tooth exposed, and the neck is also yellow-ish, while my teeth are white. My dentist did not mention that it was a big problem yet, but I do want to try and prevent it from getting worse! I try to brush gently, and also when flossing, try to not hit the gum (which, btw, I find difficult to do, as the floss seems to just hit the gum no matter how hard I try for it not to). Are there any tips you could share with me on this? I do oil pulling and also dab some myrrh powder on it since a few days, which apparently has great healing components. But is brushing not making the recession of the gums worse?
Thank you so much, Bryanna! It is SO great to be able to talk to someone as knowledgeable and open as you about oral health, and to get honest, open answers and suggestions!
Meera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi Meera,

I am glad to hear that the majority of your symptoms have subsided. I think you are certainly doing everything that you can to relieve the tension and inflammation.

I agree with the OS about having the night guard made. However, it would be in your best interest to get in to see your dentist as soon as you can rather than wait a few weeks. You have a chronic inflammation in the TMJ area that can get progressively worse which means it can then be more difficult to remedy. Wearing the night guard does not eliminate the problem right away, so there is additional time needed there also. Also because you are having pain in the upper left it is important that the dentist evaluate those teeth and sinuses and if you have not had recent xrays of that area, then it would be wise to do so to rule out infection. It's important to know that if you give the dental receptionist the impression that you can wait, then she will not try to get you in. But if you give the impression that you don't think it's wise to wait, then she will get you in.

The pain in the upper left.. sinus... nostril area could be referred inflammation from the TMJ. But it could also be bacteria brewing. So it is best to have that evaluated both clinically and radio graphically sooner than later. I know you don't want to deal with any more dental problems but at the same time, it's easier in the long run to deal with them before they become worse.

I really don't have any advice on treating that full feeling that you have in that upper left area because infection has not been ruled out.

Muscle relaxants might be temporarily helpful but they do have side effects. Taking homeopathic arnica as prescribed on the brand that you use may be just as helpful but without the side effects.

I came upon this informative website of a homeopathic medical doctor. This piece talks about sinusitis but it might be helpful with your current symptoms.

http://www.drhomeo.com/latest-posts/...hic-treatment/

Bryanna
Meera Dasi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote