View Single Post
Old 02-19-2015, 03:58 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default listening to instructions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom from Queens View Post
Hope everyone is doing OK here. It's been a while since I have posted, but I still check in once or twice a week to see how everyone is doing.

This site (and the people on it) have been very instrumental in my recovery. I "celebrated" the two-year anniversary of my concussion last week, and I would estimate I am anywhere from 95%-98% recovered.

I still have a tender neck, and it hurts if I sleep or move the wrong way. I have learned to recognize my stressors--if I get too tired or upset, some of my symptoms come back. My short-term memory has improved quite a lot, though my immediate short-term memory is not good.

I have a question for the community--

Are there any ways/ exercises you recommend to follow verbal instructions better?

I am a very visual and very verbal person (but probably more written word than speaking). However, I have very real problems dealing with both of these things together. The latest was when my girlfriend was explaining how to put the leash/ collar on her dog.

I had real problems translating her words to action.

I've kind of always had this problem, even before my injury, but it seems worse now/ annoys me more now.

Any thoughts would be appreciated...
I find that my daughter has the same problems(4 months pcs) with listening to instructions and following them. I have come to realize this and try very hard to make sure there is quiet and little or no distractions. She can only process thing one at a time. Some times I have to repeatedly tell her or write it down. If I write it down an keep directing her to the instructions she seems to do pretty well. we got her a pin board and we put very important info on there for her. But I have to constantly direct her to the board. If you find something better works I would love the advice!
Smayotte is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote