View Single Post
Old 02-19-2015, 04:18 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Lost in the mess!

Hey all! I am a mom of a 17 year girl that sustained a concussion in oct 2014 during volleyball practice. She did not lose consciousness but was knocked down and could only see black. I was called to the school to pick her up and the athletic trainer let me know she had a concussion. I work in the medical field and man was I about to be educated in concussions. Well we are now about 4 months out and life has changed for her and I both. She is unable to tend school anymore. She is a honor student with a high gpa and college credits as a junior in high school. So we are now doing what the school calls homebound. She is now only taking 2 classes and it can be a struggle with these.
I had no idea what happens after a concussion or could happen. I had no idea about PCS, or symptoms. I have been schooled in concussions. Well I am always looking for anything new to try or something that will help us.
We have, what we label "bad days" quite a bit and are taking a few medications as well as physical therapy. We see a neurologist regularly.
I am tired. I worry whenever I am not with her, I try to make sure someone is with her all the time. I have taken away her driving privileges. I am watching her like a hawk for any changes or symptoms. I can't imagine how difficult this has to be for her. She barely leaves home or sees any friends. We do things in small increments of time (because symptoms return). I get scared that this is not going to end. I am frustrated with friends and family not understanding or saying Im making a big deal out of this. They don't live with her, they have to care for her. People have no idea what it is like for her to do the smallest things that we all take for granite.
Im lost as to what I am looking for. Maybe just support, ideas. This is the first place I have been to that I have found anybody else dealing with this. Im just not sure where to go from here.
Smayotte is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (02-19-2015)