View Single Post
Old 02-19-2015, 10:49 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Smayotte,

Welcome to NeuroTalk. Sorry to hear of your daughter's injury.

I have a few answers/suggestions for you.

First, go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9Xso...ature=youtu.be and watch the You Look Great video series. Then, any time a friend or family doubts the seriousness of her condition, suggest they watch the 6 part series. It takes about an hour.

Second, please do not try to force her to get her studies done. Keeping up with classwork is not even an issue compared with helping her recover. If she is accomplished as her record shows, she will accomplish much more when she is doing better than she will struggling along now. If anything, she needs to discover and learn how to learn in her current state. She may need a whole new set of learning and study skills.

It may help to find a physical therapist or chiropractor who understands subtle upper neck injuries. Generic chiros and PT's are not always much help. www.NUCCA.org and www.atlasorthogonal.com have info about upper cervical chiros.

You might google 'inflammatory foods' and see if her diet can be modified. A strict low fat diet can be counter to healing. Her brain needs good meat protein for the amino acids. There is a sticky thread at the top about vitamins. Check out post #101 in Nov, 2014. It has updated info. Omega 3 fish oil with high DHA/EPA content is a good starting point.

Fortunately, you caught me on a good day. I usually struggle to read paragraphs that are longer than 5 or 6 lines without a blank line space. Visual tracking is a common problem for people with PCS.

If you have a way, try to observe her sleeping. For many of us, bad days follow a rough night trying to sleep. Brain healing only occurs during REM sleep. Taking naps during the day can be helpful. Early on, I needed a nap after breakfast and trying to read a bit of the morning paper. Some of us also need to eat before bed to give our brains energy to us during sleep. I need a complex carb and/or some protein.

Please feel free to ask anything. There is likely somebody here who has some experience with every aspect of PCS.

My best to you both.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (02-19-2015)