View Single Post
Old 02-21-2015, 09:57 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Thumbs up Another Newbie - similar symptoms and foot drop

Hi Jane - Just logged in for the 1st time and found you - not very computer literate with this sort of stuff so may never find you again , but hope so!
Had a right hip replacement in October 2014 and suffered nerve damage tho' consultants reluctant to discuss. Just had nerve conduction studies and needle electromyography privately and results show:

'R sural and superficial peroneal sensory responses unrecordable; unrecordable response from EDB on R peroneal nerve and diminished response from R tibialis anterior and reduced R tibial motor response; needle EMG studies show frequent positive sharp waves in R tibialis anterior and gastrocnemius with long duration polyphasic units recordable from both these muscles.

Significant degree of R sciatic nerve lesion resulting in sensory and motor axonal loss in distribution of both peroneal and tibial divisions - paraesthesia in R leg below knee and weakness of R ankle dorsiflexion, plantar flexion and eversion. There is electrophysiological support for continuity of both peroneal and tibial motor axons so prospect of further recovery but can't predict full recovery.'

Am doing more exercises than I ever thought possible without going near a gym - told I must exercise to regain my calf muscles - but now have tendonitis in my ankle as a result of a badly fitting orthotic so have to scale back for a few weeks and unable to go out as splint aggravates the swelling. Am pretty much housebound anyway as I live alone in a hilly area (garden on 3 levels so the weeds will be having a good year) and no idea how long before any chance of driving again. Can understand your worries re coping with the little ones - I'm barred from granny duties for the foreseeable future in case of accidents.

Want to explore options for alternative orthotics which won't affect ankle - have seen something online which seems to be a cuff below knee - if anyone knows of anything all advice greatly appreciated. Hope you improve - hope we all do - and will try to keep in touch computer brain willing!
Pel is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote