Magnate

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janek555 View Post
I am 37 yard old and have had right lowe leg weakness for several months
and have been having issues with my balance on that leg, it feels very unsteady
and I can't walk very well, I also have pain in my toes both sides and tingling
I have seen a neurologist and had a nerve conduction/ emg done showing
nerve conduction: marked prolongation of distal latency of pernoeal nerve and low normal CMAP amplitudes and low normal conduction velocity. Left perineal nerve slight prolongation of distal latency with normal conduction and amplitudes. Left tibial nerve showed prolonged distal latency and conduction velocity with lower limits of normal and normal amplitudes. Right tibial nerve showed slight prolongation of distal latency with normal amplitudes and low normal conduction velocity. Sensory conduction test was normal. EMG was normal

So the problem I was told is in the motor nerves suggesting motor peripheral neuropathy ?

My question is do individuals with neuropathy have balance issues from the beginning of the diagnosis or is that something that happens once your feet go numb and you can't feel the floor. I'm trying to figure out if my balance problem is coming from the peripheral neuropathy or something else?

Thank you

Jane

I have had PN for about 6 yrs. I do have the burning of the ankle and feet; especially when I have been on my feet for any length of time. I do take meds for the pain; but often when the burning is troublesome, I will sit in my comfortable lounger with a couple of pillows on the floor to elevate my feet for a little while. Most of the time this really helps to give me a new start. I still do not have the numbness you mentioned.

The balance at this early stage may be temporary. I do have issues some issues with balance but in the house I am pretty much okay. I can always brace myself on something if need be. When going out and about, I use a cane to steady myself, as well as it helps from other people accidentally bumping into me.

Should this be PN, most likely you will not get to a stage where taking care of your chlldren will be a problem.

Gerry

Last edited by ger715; 02-21-2015 at 11:22 PM.
ger715 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote