View Single Post
Old 02-24-2015, 02:30 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janieg View Post
I continue to seek answers regarding my "idiopathic" diagnosis, but I am done with testing for now. I will throw any and all supplements I can at it, but like you, I don't want the long-term pharma meds. I was on gabapentin for a few months, but stopped. In lieu of meds I have lidocaine patches which I use infrequently, Morton's espom salt lotion, and recently valerian root has been added to my nightly repertoire.

I'm currently throwing the following darts...

- low carb diet in case the cause is due to glucose issues despite having normal diabetic screening numbers (other testing shows problems, namely the Oral Glucose Tolerance Test and home monitoring with a cheap glucose meter)

- Folate and Methyl B12 in case it's due to methylation issues as I do have some bad mutations

- Now Candida Support and probiotics (and soon a prebiotic) in case it's due to a gut problem

Two possible causes I don't have darts for, but I continue to be suspicious of based on the timing of the onset of the SNF:

- hormonal (I'm 52, and am definitely experiencing hormonal changes with other symptoms. )

- spinal (all MRIs negative, but the SFN hit 3 weeks after I hurt my neck)
Thanks - I'm 52 as well but my menopause came early and is well done and dusted now so I've ruled that out. I do have arthritis in my neck from the MRI but was assured that, as it isn't touching my spinal cord, it couldn't be the cause of the SFN. My lower back is bad too but this wouldn't explain the hands and arms being affected I'm told. They won't do an MRI or x-ray of this lumbar arthritis because they just tell me that it's wear and tear typical of post child bearing woman of 52 - too ordinary to be worth investigating. I'm not so sure because none of my friends have bums that lock when trying to get up from seated position !

It is good to find others with such similar issues and of the same age - makes me feel a lot less freaky!

Sjögren’s, Hashimoto’s and Systemic Sclerosis with Raynaud’s, Erythromelagia and small fibre polyneuropathy, GI problems top to tail, degenerative disc disease and possible additional autoimmune diseases
MAT52 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote