View Single Post
Old 02-24-2015, 02:32 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubaforsythe View Post
Littlepaw,
I have read a couple articles concerning pain interrupting our ability to experience REM sleep, which in turn does not allow us to sleep a healing sleep. So I see your point on trying to get the pain under control. I am working on switching when I take the Gabapentin, taking at night when I need it the most. I have found that when I take it with the Oxycodone-Acetaminophen it settles the fire somewhat and I do get the 4 instead of 2 hours sleep. Does this sound like a sound plan, taking it at night as if I'm on 3rd shift rather than in the day? I'm also making a list of questions to ask my doctor when I see him. Thank you for all the ideas!! Your a life saver!!
Dawn
Dawn,

Anytime. We all help each other. What time you take meds can absolutely make a difference. I found I was able to manage my pain during the day with OTCs and activity accommodation IF I was able to rest at night. For a long time that meant neurontin and tramadol before bed. Now the nortriptyline at bed seems to do the job of both though I still sometimes need tramadol if I have a really bad day. Getting restorative sleep has helped me keep my sanity and achieve some healing. I could not have done it without meds at night. For me there seems to be some carryover pain relief into the next morning. Taking them during the day was unappealing to me, I am little, sensitive and need to be safe to drive. It takes time to find out what works, so talk to your doc. Mine were supportive of meds only at night. I can't overstate the importance of rest and stress reduction. Doing too much, going too hard will impede recovery. Being gentle with yourself and your nervous system will help you heal.

Littlepaw
Littlepaw is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote