View Single Post
Old 02-26-2015, 11:37 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Confused MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenclaw View Post
It's possible that the diagnosis was wrong, though it's also possible that you have another disease, side-effects of medication, or worsening of your MG

Do you have positive antibodies? And does mestinon work for you? On what ground did they diagnose MG?
That way you can kind of see if this is a correct diagnosis, especially if you have antibodies.

Are you only taking Mestinon? If so, maybe you need more medicine and it's your MG worsening. Have you been to your neurologist? If not, probably best contact him/her.
Are you taking other medication for your MG besides mestinon? If so, contact your neurologist and let him/her check side-effects related problems specifically.

And another option is indeed that some other problem is causing these symptoms. It's not so easy to find out where to look at, if the blood comes back normal and the symptoms can be caused by anything.
However, some with MG are predisposed to other auto immune diseases like thyroid problems, diabetes, and all kinds of rheumatologist stuff like RA and SLE.
These all tend to give you some of the symptoms like the ones you are experiencing and can be hard to diagnose sometimes.
Maybe see an internist?
I've struggled with MG for about 6-7 years. My symptoms started not long after having my first child. I started getting a lot of muscle weakness. Even holding a cell phone felt like 50lbs and i was terrified of dropping my newborn child since my muscles were just giving out so i ended up moving back home with my parents till things calmed back down. I woke up one day and my right eye was dropping really bad. I went to the hospital and they first thought it was an allergic reaction to something or a spider bite. The day after the eye dropping is when my muscles started acting up. First in my arms then later in my legs. My arms get my at my elbows to my shoulders and my legs are from my knees up to my thighs. It got better a few days later. Then exactly a week later my eye started drooping again, then my arms and legs started to getting very weak and sore again. That's when they started running test for MS but they didn't see any lesions. So they ruled that out at the time. Not long after that i lost my insurance so i had to wait a few years later to finally get the right testing down and get a diagnosis. Mestinon is the only medication my neurologist has ever put me on. I was put on that about 3 or 4 years ago. I've called him in the past to let him know that my symptoms were starting to get worse and he said he doesn't like to put me on anything other than that at this time do to all the side effects of stronger medications. years ago he did a Repetitive Nerve Stimulation (I think that's what its called) I had to go the hospital for a few hours and they used an electric shock type of thing to different nerves to see how quickly my muscles would weaken. I'm in the mist of trying to find a neurologist since i've recently relocated. My regular doctor just did blood work to check my thyroid due to my extreme fatigue, hair loss, weight gain, etc and those came back in a normal range. Its def aggravating because a lot of the symptoms are vague and can be a sign of multiple things.
Jennyfuro3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote