View Single Post
Old 02-26-2015, 05:08 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

There is some debate between doctors as to calling the reaction to cortisone as an 'allergy' it's not the binders in the medication, it is the actual cortisone that my body can't handle. They go with 'allergy' because I have kind of the reverse of addisons might be the way to phrase it. My body over produces cortisone so injection or oral medication raises the levels too much for my body to handle.

Since the reaction can cut off my airway (and potential do even more harm to my body than simply killing me quickly...) they've gone with "allergic". Instead of reducing inflammation, my poor body fairly explodes with inflammation. Last time I got a shot of it in my left hand, I spent twelve hours in excuriating pain, fighting just to breathe and blacking out frequently. Kind of coming to long enough to realize I couldn't scream because of the lock jaw caused by swelling and blacking back out again.

Wasn't fun... And I wasn't at and couldn't get to a hospital. Couldn't even have called 911 in the state I was in. Went from thinking I was going to die to praying I was going to die to cursing that I wasn't dead... But I survived, only a bit more worse for wear. But it was my own stupidity, I had a bad, granted not as bad, reaction to cortisone before, and argued with the doctor about getting another shot, but I was desperate to regain my left hand since I'm a lefty. So shame on me, but never ever again LOL. I only wish the reaction had been instant, then the doctor could have seen what I was talking about....but nooooo... It had to wait two hours to start.
SallyC (02-26-2015)