View Single Post
Old 02-27-2015, 12:48 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Thanks everyone for the replies!!

Dizzy-- they were through private insurance. But the neurologist was the biggest slap in the face because he is a friend of another doctor friend of mine. But then again my surprise might be misplaced--he makes a good part of his living by being hired by lawyers like the one I USED to be and always paid to testify the person was not injured by my client's negligence. Oh well, the more I think about what he told me the less angry and more amused I get at its absurdity...

I saw a psychiatrist today. She was baffled by the neurologist. She hopped up on a well-deserved soapbox and went off on what most of us on this forum already know-- PCS and mTBI is not identifiable by an MRI. She pointed out she could biopsy my brain and wouldn't find a thing but it didn't make the TBI and PCS any less real. So my PSYCHIATRIST said psychiatry and drugs can help me but are not the answer-- that I need treatment for my brain injury for actual recovery.

I have been learning through this that help and support come from the most unexpected places.

To answer the question about the neuropsych, he said its up to the neurologist to oversee the treatment. But I may go back to him anyway if nothing else pans out. I'll call Carrick here in Dallas again too.

I can't go back to work. When the neuropsych said I'm unfit to work as a lawyer, it seems it would be unethical to return to work over an ultimatum like the one they gave me. If I lose my job, I lose my job. But I won't risk losing my license or hurting someone because of my cognitive problems.

Finally, it's more than just memory. The parts of my brain that are impaired below the general population are the attentional, focus, & expressive speech. Test after test I could perform perfectly for the first 60-70% and the my accuracy just tanked at the end. I drift off, freeze up, miss things, make mistakes... But I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

And right or wrong, the neuropsych did give me a timeline-- he said if I got the needed one-on-one therapy and made a careful transition back to work that I could expect to be back full-time in less than 6 months. Of course, that's speech and concentration problems. He didn't say anything about memory because I meet the population average. And my hypersensitivity he said could take a year before we'll know if it will recover.

Every day is a new day. There are good days and bad. But I have my faith and family and this forum. I wish I could remember to check it more often. But if anyone wants to talk more, message me and you can have my email address... I still can't break the habit of obsessively checking that every 10 minutes.

Thanks again guys!
Lawyer1732 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (02-27-2015)