View Single Post
Old 02-27-2015, 11:55 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Thoracic outlet syndrome

Sounds like possible compression of the brachial plexus, a major neurovascular bundle that runs through a narrow space in the brachial region. If you have weakness in your group, specifically, the 4th and 5th digits of one or both hands, I would seek out a neurosurgeon familiar with Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. They can perform movements of your arm and test your grip strength to indicate possible compression. The only cure is to stop overhead activities and reaching with arms for the time being. If this does not relieve symptoms, physical therapy and/or surgery is most likely needed.

------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart2 View Post
Hi:
I've had idiopathic PN for about 2 and one-half years. Is it worthwhile to get a full check up at a major clinic?
So far, my symptoms aren't severe--partial numbness in feet and hands, dryish mouth and eyes, acid reflux, occasional brief random shooting pains. My feet do hurt quite a bit when I am on them too long. I'm a teacher.
Tests did find mild nerve damage. But all of the other tests are negative.
Currently, I can dance, garden, bicycle and do whatever I want. Am on no medications except Prilosec and occasional aspirin or ibuprofen.
I am very lucky compared to many PN sufferers!!
My worry is that things keep gradually getting worse and I personally know some long term PN patients who are pretty much crippled by PN.
I feel like now is the time to do something. But my hunch is that I have something going on that is not going to be curable.
Is it worth it to go to a major clinic? Which one? I have good insurance.
I live in Wisconsin. Thanks! Stu
jobby99 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote