View Single Post
Old 02-27-2015, 03:07 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default I get by with a little help from my friends

It's very tough to be a PCS patient, because of the lack of quality information in the medical world. It can be frustrating at times and cause us to lose hope. The best way to be positive about your new situation is to lean on certain people:

1) People who stay current on the latest in Concussion scientific journals/studies - these people may just be science buffs, medical professionals, anyone who is intrigued by the phenomena of concussions and more so the fact that the scientific world knows so little about them. They can help you understand what exactly is taking place in your brain and reassure you that you are not in fact going crazy.

2) Family members, friends - people who care about you and can provide unconditional love and support. This can be a tough one because sometimes we seem OK on the outside but in reality we are going through hell and it's hard for "normal" people to understand. People close to you are going through a painful time having to watch you go through this. Always remember that they are dealing with the concussion almost as much as you are. They might try to avoid it or ignore it. It's hard to have to repeat yourself over and over again and explain that "I am not OK" Just be careful who you choose to surround yourself with.

3) Doctors - this group you have to be really careful about. There are some horrible physicians out there that will give you the worst advice and drugs with nasty side effects. But, you will find that there is the rare doctor, may it be a neurologist, General practitioner, whatever, that actually is compassionate enough to try to understand what you are going through and use their medical expertise to help.

4) Former/Current PCS patients (AKA this forum ) This group of people is probably the most valuable. You can learn from them what works and what doesn't. What to expect. Ways to cope with stressors.

Obviously, there can be some overlapping here.

In the end, every concussion is different and it will come down to you learning to control your expectations and anxiety. Always be mindful that recovery does not take place over night and like it or not, you are in for a long ride. Look at your condition in the scope of weeks or months and not days. You will have good days and bad days. When you notice a trend over the course of a few weeks, this is a more accurate description of where you stand.

That's my two cents. I hope some of you find this helpful or at least agree with it.

-Danny
"Thanks for this!" says:
Concussed Scientist (03-04-2015), lilyNYC (10-24-2015)