View Single Post
Old 02-27-2015, 10:52 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I flew out to the Rochester Mayo clinic and spent a week there. It was five days full of tests. I felt many of the tests were unnecessary, Extreme amounts of lab work was done that I had already had done, and really didn't need repeated. My diagnosis before all that testing "probable CIDP" my diagnosis after spending a week there, "atypical CIDP". Basically the recommendation from all the testing was to change my ivig regiman to smaller more frequent intervals----which made no difference.
After the new ivig treatment didn't work, my local neurologist called the Dr I saw at Mayo to ask his opinion regarding a different treatment. The Dr refused to give his opinion unless I flew back out there so he could see me again. This was after my insurance company paid extreme amounts of money for tons of testing.
In my opinion, if you are already working with a good neurologist who you feeling is testing you for an appropriate diagnosis then stay with him/her.The advantage to going to a place like mayo is they will schedule you for numerous tests in one week, and you will get it over with in a short time. The disadvantage, unless you live nearby and plan to stay with them, they really don't care what happens after you leave and don't follow your treatment. Their specialty is diagnosing, not treatment or follow up.
northerngal is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote