View Single Post
Old 02-28-2015, 06:38 PM
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Default Cancer Survivor Facing Dental Issues

Hello Bryanna and others,

I have noticed the helpful information posted in some of these threads and thought I'd ask a few questions based on my own current rather unique scenario.

Some quick facts:

* I had oral cancer (tongue) nearly 10 years ago at age 28
* I had a strong dose of radiation and chemotherapy
* I had surgical extraction of part of tongue
* I have had minor continuing issues since (off and on dry mouth, all liquid diet consumed orally, moderately bad trismus of the jaw)
* As expected in the last year I've started to have more dental issues, first many fillings, and a root canal. Now things are getting more advanced.

I was recently notified that one of my molars along the bottom on the right (where I was most heavily radiated) is suffering from external resorption. I received a poor prognosis, but because dental extraction is not advisable in irradiated patients, I was sent to an endodontist for root canal in the hopes of at least extending the life of the tooth for a longer period before extraction became inevitable.

The root canal went OK but as the dentist began the restoration a few weeks later, he stopped mid way and decided the damage from the resorption was more extensive then he'd first realized and decided extraction had to happen (and that resorption may be occurring on another of my front middle teeth).

I have been referred to an oral surgeon and have a consult about it in a few days. I'll be seeing my ENT as well a few days later to get her take on what I should do. In the 3 weeks since the failed restoration by my dentist, I have in the last 7 days been experiencing some minor pain in the hinge of my jaw and in the bone along the right bottom of the mandible. I suspect I may have an infection.

My questions are:

* Given my history and that extraction is ill-advised except as a last ditch effort, is there any other option to consider?

* I have looked into what happens if external tooth resorption is left untreated. All I can find is that the tooth will eventually be destroyed and fall out. This appears to be the same end result as extracting. So why not just wait it out? Is there some other risk or danger in letting it "just play out"? My dentist could not answer this question because he never let a case of resorption reach the end point.

* Is there anything in particular I should ask the oral surgeon about my case? And do you have any advice, recommendations or words of experience based on my information?

Dental extractions in irradiated patients can lead to ORN if the extraction sites don't heal properly and far more horrifying scenarios then simply some missing teeth. I know I will have to undergo HBO treatments prior to and following any extractions. And these extractions may just be the first of many as the endodontist noted that because of my past cancer treatments all my roots along the bottom are decaying despite my good oral hygiene habits (the visible teeth above the gumline look mostly healthy even compared to a non-radiated patient). Additionally my trismus condition allows my mouth only to open not even half so wide as a "normal" person, making extraction all the more difficult for the surgeon.

So I wonder if there's any other options I should consider?

Thanks in advance for reading, and for any information provided.
Dave Grave is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eva5667faliure (03-02-2015), Lara (02-28-2015)