Thread: pushing through
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2015, 07:33 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Rather than focus on 100% recovery, which is impossible anyway, we need to focus on being better next week than we are this week.

If you lost your eye sight, you would not be able to move forward until you learned skills for living without sight. If your focus was returning to a sighted life, you would never move forward and be incredibly frustrated.

If you shredded your knee, you would be in a similar position. Some knee injuries can only be repaired to a walkable level but not a competitive level. The soft tissues, especially the cartilage, can not be forces to heal back to normal. If that was the case, you would need to modify your life to fit the capabilities of your knee.

We have to accept that our brains are damaged. Not all of that damage can be overcome. That damage that can recover will take quite some time if it is the kind of damage that does not spontaneously recover.

There is life with a damaged brain. I lived 40 years before I suffered my last injury that was not recoverable. My brain injury at 10 years old changed my life but did not end it.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote