View Single Post
Old 03-02-2015, 02:04 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Thanks for the quick replies. He has not had an MRI or CT since the accident. The ER doctor said that they would only do a CT if it was an emergency and he was showing signs of a brain bleed. Since he wasn't, they recommended a followup with his doctor and an outpatient MRI. They did do a simple neuro exam, nothing at extensive as the doctor treating his concussion. She is a sports medicine doctor that treats college athletes as well and is follows a strict concussion protocol.

He is under treatment of a chiropractor for the whiplash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
krisgrt,

Welcome to NeuroTalk.

Yes, coughing and sneezing can exacerbate symptoms. Often, concussion symptoms are combined with a subtle neck injury. The sneezing can aggravate that. You were right to go to the ER. They probably did a basic neuro exam and cleared him to return home. I am surprised they did not do a CT Scan. It is commonly done to rule out problems and reduce hospital liability. He must have passed the neuro exam with flying colors.

A fever also stresses the brain.

Quiet rest is best but bed rest is not usually necessary. One wants to have just enough stimulation to keep good blood flow through the brain.

I find an easy chair or recliner allows for the occasional nap between simple activities.

My best to you both.
krisgrt is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote