View Single Post
Old 03-02-2015, 09:10 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Medications & Medication Combos

Hi,

My husband has Poly Neuropathy, diagnosed 3 years ago, but suffering for probably 5 or 6 years before getting the diagnosis.

He's on 150mg of amitriptyline, which is a very high dose from what we're told and he's suffering greater side effects and it's not treating all his symptoms. We're finding it's progressed from his feet up to his knees, causing muscle weakness and now reaching his hands with pains, stabbing feeling and overall weakness in both the legs and hands.

He previously tried Lyrica with no relief as well as Gabpentine which he reached a daily dose of 2000 which only made him prone to severe mood swings and did much to provide any relief to his pains.

Our Neurologist last suggested coming off Amitriptylne for Cymbalta but that he would have to come off completely the one for the other, which was impossible as anything less than 100 mg of Amitritylne and he couldn't bear the pain.

What I'm wondering is if he can stay on Amitriptyline and add in another drug - like he did with Gabapentin - and if anyone here has a combination of drugs that help. Ideally I'd like to see him lower his Amitriptyline with the help of a 2nd drug so that he has lower side effects of 2 drugs instead of insane side effects from one that still isn't providing the relief he needs.

Thanks
sweetcell is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote