View Single Post
Old 03-02-2015, 10:50 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default MP pain only at night

Hi All,

After being diagnosed with MP early 2014, I realised that I first experienced it back in 2005. It only happened once in a while, but then in late 2013/early 2014 the MP pain became so regular and unbearable, that I went to my GP who sent me to get an Ultrasound guided cortisone injection of the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve in my right hip.

Unfortunately I experience pain in both thighs while sleeping, but it seems it only happens when I am laying on my back. I start to get the tingling feeling in my thighs if i'm laying in bed watching TV, but will roll onto my side and the pain goes away. While i'm asleep though, I obviously have no control over how I lay, and will regularly (every second night on average) wake with excruciating pain in one/both thighs, so-much-so that I can only describe it as though someone is slicing my leg open to the bone with a blunt knife.

I have had one dose of cortisone in my right hip, and two in my left, with noticeable improvement for short to medium duration (2-6 months). I am actually going to see my GP tonight for another issue, but will be asking for another referral to get the guided cortisone injection in my right hip again as I have recently been experiencing severe pain again.

There was very little information about this condition available (or provided by my doctors), so this forum was quite encouraging to find. One thing that I will be hoping to improve is my weight, as everything I read says that obesity and tight belts/clothing contributes to the condition. Unfortunately, I can't avoid wearing belts due to my work attire, so I hope that working towards losing 20kg (45lbs) will help reduce the MP.

I have been on Lyrica & Endep, along with anti-inflammatories, which doesn't seem to have helped, so I'm wondering if there are any other suggestions (aside from weight loss, nerve blocking injections & medication) that anyone might have?

Also, does anyone else only experience MP pain when laying on their backs?
AussieMP is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote