View Single Post
Old 03-02-2015, 11:46 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default What type of steroid?

Hi SkimbleShanks
You don't mention what type of steroid was given, what the side effects were or what it was intended for. Side effects can depend on individual reaction and tolerance - everybody's different. Last Oct. I had 3x 100mg hydrocortisone IV daily for 3 days during an adrenal crisis. The only side effect I noticed were a tendency for a bit of a 'high' ie: feeling great, soon after each infusion during the tapering process (this was post appendix surgery). I've also noticed a general feeling of slightly more energy and less pain for a couple of months after (a bit like when you get a steroid shot in a joint to relive pain) As I have primary Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency) I'm on a daily maintenance dose of 25 mg hydrocortisone (oral) and generally feel low energy/fatigued most days so the boost is noticeable to me. There can be other adverse reactions to steroids and also long-term effects with prolonged use. Your physician should have informed you of these prior to administering the meds. If you weren't given any info you could try looking it up on a medication data website. Hope this helps.
bluesfan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ger715 (03-08-2015), SkimbleShanks (03-04-2015)