View Single Post
Old 03-03-2015, 02:58 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

aengineer, welcome to this forum.

From what I can gather from a quick Google is that PoNS is rather like having a TENS electrode in the mouth.

Liegl et al. write [1]:

"The PoNS™ device uses an unbalanced biphasic waveform designed to ensure net zero current ... to reduce the chance of tissue irritation and has 19 V max and 6mA operational limits. Pulses are delivered to the tongue in triplets of pulses at 5 ms intervals every 20 ms."

This approach adds to the growing genre of stimulatory approaches that may or may not offer therapeutic benefit to PwP. Devices range from mechanical vibrations to pulsing magnetic fields, from constant electrical current to 1000hz, from the deep brain to the skin, from the non-invasive beat of a metronome to brain surgery.

As far as I know the only one that is in common use for PD is DBS - the one that ticks all the wrong boxes except one: it appears to benefit some people. As to the others, I can't explain why none is in general use for PD. I would expect some of them to give benefit.

Reference:

[1] "Portable Neuromodulation Stimulator (Pons™) Device And Effects On Balance And Gait For Individuals With Traumatic Brain Injuries"
Kati P. Liegl, Kathy L. Rust, Roger O. Smith, 2013
http://www.resna.org/sites/default/f...mes/Liegl.html

John
johnt is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Aunt Bean (03-05-2015)