View Single Post
Old 03-03-2015, 04:26 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by en bloc View Post
You know, it may very well be the withdrawal. I went back and looked and you only mentioned "planning" to slowly come off Cymbalta on the Feb 18...not actually starting the taper yet. So you are talking about a very short period of time to go from 30/40mg to nothing (less then 2 weeks)! I'd be willing to bet that the majority of this is withdrawal as it will make your original symptoms much worse.

Did you mention to the doctor about how fast you've tapered off? There was another poster here that recently had a very hard time coming off Cymbalta...took a LONG time to finally get off completely. And she talked about the same increase in symptoms like you.

It may have been doing much more than you think for your symptoms. That is the case sometimes and you don't realize how much it was helping until you stopped taking it and experienced your symptoms again without anything.

Just a thought. You might want to talk to your doctor about an appropriate taper plan to get off the Cymbalta without so much withdrawal.
I think you make a very valid point thanks En Bloc. I took two weeks to come off it alternating between 30 and 20mg and then halving 30mg capsules to take 15-5 for a week. The doctor was really unhelpful and said if I must come off then take 20mg for a week and stop. He didn't think there would be a withdrawal issue really apart from an increase in nerve pain. He was cross that I was coming off it at all and told my husband that it was the ideal drug for me and reason it wasn't working was because I had not given it long enough (3 months) and was on too low a dose. But having taken powerful disease modifying drugs for three years I just couldn't bear the feeling of only treating symptoms. I'd rather live with the pain, excruciating as it is, than feel trapped by a drug which may or may not be worsening my GI issues and making me put on weight. The longer i was taking it for the more inpossible it becomes to stop. This made me feel panic stricken somehow? I'm feeling cautiously optimistc that I may be through the worst - fingers crossed!

Sjögren’s, Hashimoto’s and Systemic Sclerosis with Raynaud’s, Erythromelagia and small fibre polyneuropathy, GI problems top to tail, degenerative disc disease and possible additional autoimmune diseases
MAT52 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote