Thread: Introductions
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2015, 09:54 AM
Elder

10 yr Member
Elder

10 yr Member
Default Hi

I used to post on the bipolar board, but haven't in a very long time...

I'm a 34 yo married F (no children). BP II with anxiety disorder, disabled because of symptoms of MS.

On Dec. 23rd I slit both my wrists and the crook of my arm, and OD'ed on a cocktail of 3 prescription meds.
So, I found myself in the hospital for 3 days and voluntarily committed until I was transferred to a medical ward for treatment for a MS relapse.
I was very angry that I was still alive.

I have a pretty good idea of how it all went awry. To me it's a long story, but I can also tie it up in a neat package (see bold):

My usual warning that I was going manic was that I wold stop off for a beer before going home, and end up getting home after last call. Not good for a marriage...
Just as these incidents were increasing, I got ****** off at lithium because I developed hyperparathyroidism in addition to the hyperthyroidism it already caused. My NP decided to try me on Seroquol, but when I titrated up to 150mg I started passing out. The NP told me to stop taking it. I scheduled and rescheduled appointments, but never went back.

On no medication at all, drinking more, I left my husband and moved in with my dad (BIG mistake). Oh, and I got a DUI.

They released me on Depakote even though it rendered me virtually blind. My NP was throwing out the names of other drugs, but oddly enough, I asked for lithium. I'm dry now. It's the devil I know. If other s/e come up, or lithium's not doing the job, we can revisit the issue.

I'm safe now, I can see, and my husband and I have reconciled. I'll never wear short sleeves again, but it's not all bad news.
OhKay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Alffe (03-12-2015), bizi (03-05-2015), eva5667faliure (03-04-2015), ger715 (03-11-2015), Lara (03-04-2015)