Old 03-04-2015, 11:21 AM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishDave View Post
Hi Gerry,
I still have to use Morphine and Tramadol for Musculoskeletal pain from all my injuries, but the Ketamine is superb for Neuropathic pain. My whole nervous system is in a state of hypersensitivity, wearing a pair of trousers 'burns' my legs, holding a cup of tea feels like the kettle has been emptied over my hands. Conversely, freezing weather feels like a million needles stabbed into my skin.
This is all on top of the painful parasthesia I have permanently all over the left side of my head and face from my trigeminal nerve problem.
The Ketamine dials ALL of this down so it is bearable (50%) for 2-3 hours out of 6, then effects wear off gradually. Taking it orally means I can adjust dosage and times within set parameters. I can function, within my limitations, because of Ketamine and Lidocaine. My Neuropathic pain is still high only because my starting levels are stupidly high.
The use of Ketamine for this type of problem is common with my PM Team. I have spoken to numerous fellow patients in the Clinic over the years and I have never heard a negative word.
Trade-offs: Ketamine has been around for Donkey's Years, and is a WHO Essential Drug. It makes me tired - no more so than any of the other pain meds I'm on. There is risk of bladder ulceration/bleeding due to misuse at high doses. It can be an hallucinogen if taken at high doses. It has been shown to be a mood elevator (positive se).
More and more uses are being found for this med. Unfortunately, misuse, and it's hallucinoratory properties lead it to be a Class C drug, soon to be Class B over here. This does nothing but create social stigma due to the few who abuse it.

Dave.

Thanks Dave,
I wasn't sure whether Ketamine might lessen the need for the narcotic meds I am taking. I was hoping it would alleviate the awful constipation caused by narcotic meds. Ketamine does not appear to be the answer.

Gerry
ger715 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DejaVu (07-24-2015), EnglishDave (03-04-2015)