View Single Post
Old 03-04-2015, 02:29 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

[QUOTE=lurkingforacure;1127341]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deangreen View Post
It seems you have to saturate your system with thiamine in order to get it to your brain. I wonder if anyone has tried sulbutiamine. It is an OTC synthetic thiamine analog that easily crosses the blood-brain-barrier.[/QUOTE

This doesn't make sense to me. If something doesn't normally get into the brain (ie, it does not cross the BBB, is that what you are saying?) then how does flooding the body with it resolve that problem?

I think every person on the planet would have thiamine deficiency if you had to flood the body with thiamine to get it into the brain. Where did you read this? Don't mean to be combative, just curious.

Everything I've read is to the contrary, actually, that the body can only absorb so much thiamine and if you take in more than that, you'll just pee it out.
From what I understood about thiamine uptake into the brain (Thiamine Function, Metabolism, Uptake, and Transport, Biochemistry, 53, 2014) there are two mechanisms; 1. a carrier-mediated mechanism that can be saturated by excess thiamine, and 2. a non-saturable component that some hypothesize to be simple passive diffusion. So once you've inundated yourself with thiamine and saturated the carriers, I figure that the excess may simply diffuse through the BBB before your body has enough time to get rid of it by "peeing it out". Just a thought that is subject to debate.
Deangreen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
sim00 (03-10-2015), zanpar321 (03-04-2015)