View Single Post
Old 03-04-2015, 08:11 PM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
Hi injured and Lit Love. Just a quick question if I may... I had been reading injuredbutrecoverin's questions but don't want to take it off topic too much.

In Australia we have something called "Sickness allowance" and that is
is a short term and temporary payment for eligible people.

It's different from the Disability Pension or SSDI. I'm curious if you have something similar there? It would be suitable for someone recovering from a concussion, injury or other condition that should/may get better in a certain amount of time. (off the top of my head I think max time is 2 years but need to check that)
Only 5 states out of 50 offer short term disability and I believe the max is 1 year of benefits, which I mentioned in my second post. Some companies offer disability insurance and employees can always purchase private disability policies. The government expects that those with resources to use their savings. Those that have no safety net can apply for SSI but approval delays are similar.

The reason I continue to try and help out is because I've met people that have been devastated financially by the process--those that only lose everything and destroy their credit but aren't faced with homelessness are considered lucky....

Those that are disabled but can adapt figure out a way to return to work. What I call a rather cruel game of chicken by SS... On the flip side, there are people capable of working that slip through the cracks and collect benefits fraudulently.
LIT LOVE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (03-04-2015)