Old 03-05-2015, 12:21 PM

Location: Somewhere in the Finger Lakes Region of Central NY State
10 yr Member

Location: Somewhere in the Finger Lakes Region of Central NY State
10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canagirl View Post
Hello,

My dr would like to try nortryptiline. I need relief from the extreme body wide burning. I'm very nervous... Is it effective ? Anybody have bad side effects? If so, what were they? Any troubles getting off? Please respond.... Thanks so muxh
I've been on it over 2 years, and have more or less settled on 50mg daily. Initially it made me very jittery & I had to delay upping my dose. It kind of makes me feel run down, and constipates me a bit, but I consider it worth the relief. I think it's probably one of the easier drugs to get off of, but you'd still have to taper down, but I haven't tried to do so. It relieved the general burning covering the soles on both of my feet. I also have a different burning feeling on the sole of my left foot about the size of a quarter, which is somewhat less bothersome to me that the drug doesn't touch, at least at my present dosage.

I'd say go for it. It shouldn't take too long to get some results, but would say it took me about 2 months to receive maximum benefit from a particular dosage. My neurologist says he has people on it taking up to 150mg daily, which is regular antidepressant dosage.

I'd be more worried about getting off one of the newer drugs, such as Lyrica, Cymbalta, & Effexor. More habit forming than Nortriptylene, even in a short time.
groucho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
zkrp01 (03-06-2015)