View Single Post
Old 03-05-2015, 12:58 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I find therapy to be useless. I get upset with the therapist because she does not believe RSD is the problem, and during therapy she will firmly grab my shoulder to correct the angle of it while I'm lifting weights to strengthen my arm, this about drops me. She is convinced that I'm just pinching the nerve because of bad position. I try very hard to deal with the fire this immediately causes and not scream bloody murder, becuse I know she does not believe. I'm not sure what I can do to convince her?? I had to beg with tears in my eyes to stop putting stim pads directly over the area because that was killing me. stim is torture but she will not stop using it. Anyone else have issues with Stim?

I hope I'm posting this in the right area, if not please let me know.

Any advice would be highly appreciated!!!

Thank you,
Dawn[/QUOTE]

Hi Dawn,

I couldn't help but notice you tag yourself Scubaforsythe. I don't know if that means you're a water baby, but if you are, I have found the most helpful physical therapy I do takes place in a pool.

I got RSD in 1990 following surgery on my left hand and over the years I have avoided additional surgeries (and I believe 'spread') on my shoulder and lower back by setting up a gentle rehab program in the pool. Unlike normal people, the rehab took months and months of gradually work, increasing my range of motion, endurance and pain tolerance, which I did and I got full use back.

While I never got full function back in my hand, it did improve, too. At first I couldn't use my arms or hands in the pool at all. I just kicked with my legs and feet, but later I could use my hands as fists and then eventually I could use my hands as I did freestyle, breast stroke, back and side. I always had to break it up, but as I did it more and more, I could use my hands more and more in other occupations -- writing, gardening, cooking. At the beginning I could tolerate anything touching my hand.

Swimming also gave me such peace of mind.

As you already know from your stroke, learning to accept not having your old life back is the challenge, but there is no reason for a PT to cause you additional pain.

This past year I spoke to a expert at NIH about the CRPS that developed in my foot, because of a Morton's Neuroma. His best advice. No pain flares. Be patient. Recovery is slow and gradual.

Best,
Darcy
Darcyreid is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Littlepaw (03-05-2015), scubaforsythe (03-05-2015)