View Single Post
Old 03-06-2015, 07:02 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

I went to see an orthopedic spine surgeon who agreed with my neurosurgeon that I need surgery. He originally wanted to do a C3 - C4 ACDF. But I asked him about the C5 - C6 area on the MRI as it looked compressed to me on the sagittal image. He said it might be a good idea to do that area also. If he did this he would do a posterior cervical fusion and fuse C3 - C6. No bone graft would be needed because he would use my own bone in my neck...crushed and sculpted (not sure how this works, I have to research this)? He ordered me a contrast CT Scan (which I just did) so he could make sure he does only the surgery needed. I go back to see him with the CT Scan Films on Monday.

I'm still in no pain and the slight discomfort I had in some areas has completely subsided. My arms and more so my hands however started slightly tingling a few days ago. The orthopedic spine surgeon said I also have hyperreflexia, although I did have a large coffee before I went in to see him so not sure if that made a difference.

The good news is that he said I can return to any and all activities I chose once the bones or fused weather he has to do one level or three. This is great news for me because I lift weights, run, and am a fencer. He said I will still be able to do all of these things and take up alligator wrestling if I wish : ) This is great news for me, I was starting to get depressed thinking my sport days were through (big part of mt life), thank god.

He did say there is a chance of additional surgery being needed. Three percent per year for up to ten years up to thirty percent, then after that the chance for additional surgery reduces significantly. So sounds like a better chance of not needing it. The only thing I was thinking is that what if I did need additional surgery? Then that surgery required additional surgery, etc? Would my entire spine end up being fused over time?

Thanks For All The Help!
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eva5667faliure (06-14-2015)