View Single Post
Old 03-06-2015, 11:46 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Paula,

The oral wound from an extracted tooth can be open for several weeks. Everyone heals differently and each extraction site heals at a different pace. The gum tissue eventually closes the wound but the bone takes about a year to completely fill in. So there is a lot of healing that goes on after a tooth is extracted.

I would suggest that you stop pulling your cheek on the left side causing the tissue to open over/near the wound. Every time you do that you break the connective fibrous tissue and it has to reform all over again. It's similar to having a deep cut that is trying to close and you keep spreading it open. Just be mindful of your diet, be careful eating and be sure to rinse your mouth with warm salt water 3-4 times a day for the next couple of weeks. If at any time you develop pain, swelling, or symptoms of being ill, go in to see the oral surgeon.

I hope this helps.
Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reallyworried View Post
OK, to clarify my previous post... What I think I mean is that the wisdom teeth hole extraction site is (for the most part) closed up with tissue on the right and still pretty much open on the left... I'm seven days post-op. Is this normal?

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote