View Single Post
Old 03-07-2015, 11:46 AM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
I think it is worth a try. Your thyroid will adjust to any higher amounts not needed by shutting down the thyroid a bit. It is a feedback loop so not really dangerous.

Make sure you take that on an empty stomach though ...it won't get absorbed properly if food is present (just like B12 oral).

If he gave samples, then you did not get the handout from the pharmacy. You can go in there and ask for one though if you want.

I have been taking Synthroid for at least twelve years. About 16-17 years ago, I became Hyperthroid (Graves Disease). I was on Tapazole for about 2 yrs. Went into remission (doctor said very unusual) for less than a year; then became Hyperthroid. I have lab work done every 4-5 months ; (mostly TSH) to adjust to find out if I need any adjustment to my Synthroid.

The one thing about Synthroid (Throid Disease Books) is the fact the generic does not work as well as the Brand...Synthroid. The ingredients are there; but not same amounts. When I was on the generic; the lab work showed I needed an increase.

I asked my doctor (Endocronologist) to write script for Brand Only and to try Synthroid instead of generic before raising my medication. My doctor retested (lab). The lab test confirmed using Synthroid, I did not need to increase my medication which didd prove the fact there is a difference between Brand and Generic in the Throid medication. I am on .025MG's for the past 10-12 years.

Adding too much throid hormones can appear to give a Hyperthroid effect. Not a good idea. The Synthroid should be prescribed according to lab work.

Gerry
ger715 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote