Thread: Arachnoid Cyst
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2015, 05:06 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanleyr View Post
My symptom are Headaches 24/7 and sometimes so bad I'm throwing up.
The left side of my face is pins and needles.My arms and hands go numb and sometimes down my right leg.My neck is real stiff and sore. concentration and memory are gone and can't focus. Ringing in my ears.It feels like someone is pushing me on the back of my head.The whole left side of my head is pins and needles.
Thanks Stanley
Hey Stanley,
I too have a cyst, mine's in the subarachnoid area of my brain and causes allsorts of "Fun". It's caused hydrocephalus (water on the brain) so the ns has placed a shunt, which fractured, so they inserted another. The valve was not keeping pressure, so the operated again to fix that. Originally my first NS said just leave it. 2 weeks later I'm driving down the road and my eyes went black, couldn't see a thing. I returned to the NS a week later and my sight had returned, but I was not happy. I informed the NS how '****** off' I was and he agreed that surgery was required. After the surgery my sight was fine, but the headaches were beyond anything pain wise I'd ever had. The NS just said it was post surgery pain. Normal. I got 2nd opinions but no one seemed all that concerned. My wife could see things weren't good, but none of the dr's wanted to know. I was put on all sorts of medications, no thing helped. So I pushed myself to get going and do things, then one day I collapsed at work, a co worker called an ambulance and I was shot off to hospital. The emergency doctors were asking me why I hadn't followed up, which I had, and I told them 'cos there's nothing wrong according to the NS' turns out there was something wrong and me pushing myself to get going had actually done more harm than good. Now it seems I may have done myself some permanent harm. I have tingles down my right side, visual auras a pain that I explain as someone shooting a bolt from the right back of my head out thru my eyeball, my right eye droops and eventually closes up. My limbs shake. So now I'm having botox injections to try and relieve the tension in my neck, back, shoulders and face to relieve the pressure I feel within my head. I seem to be going around and around in circles and all because no one was listening.
You are the person going through this, you are the one feeling this. If you think there is something wrong, then you are the only one who can manage it in the best way for you. In my case I have a VERY understanding and supportive wife, but I know it can be very wearing on her too. So I try to keep the stress levels to a minimum. I try not to show my pain, although often she can see through my masquerade, but I must say 'It ain't easy' and anybody who tells you it is, has never been there. I had a nurse in hospital recently ask me to give my pain a rating out of 10, I told her 15. 'Ohh it can't be that bad' she said, I told her to lay on the floor and I'd kick her in the side of the head 'there's no need to be so offensive' she stated 'Then stop making stupid f$%^&in statements' I told her. Pain is very individual, I have a friend who told me the worst pain ever is a toothache. Being that that was the worst ever pain he has experienced, then that was as far as his 'measure' of pain could go. For me, give me a toothache any day over a headache. Trying to explain your exact pain to someone else is impossible. And we being told by the medical profession "we understand pain" does not help. Understanding and managing are two different things.
Stanley, you have to manage the best way you know how. Others may pass judgement and maybe you could look into 'alternative methods' you never know, something else may assist. Exhaust all other avenues you can, at least people will see that you are being as proactive as you possibly can be, and to be honest it's about all you can be. Just remember there are other people (us) going through a similar thing, you are not alone.
Good luck with it all

Merl1n
Merl1n is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
EnglishDave (03-08-2015), ger715 (03-08-2015)