View Single Post
Old 03-08-2015, 06:52 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

[QUOTE=Darcyreid;1128281]Hi Littlepaw,

I am trying to figure out how to regain function in my CRPS foot. I was operated on last May, but so far have made no progress. Two weeks ago after getting my pain more under control for the first time I tried again to establish a movement routine, this time walking 15 minutes every hour for a total of about 2.5 hours a day. I had good days, then some good & bad days, and then everything went to hell.

I remember reading that you wrote somewhere about how it is imperative to retrain the autonomics when you've had surgery on the LE. That you first (?) let your foot hang down for five minutes an hour. Did you start doing that first before you started to do anything else. And, if so, how did you build it up, 10 min. an hour, etc.

So far I also haven't been able to reintroduce the pool. This has always been my life savior, especially with my first bout of RSD. Did you have a method for introducing it, too.

And last but not least, I saw that you are walking up to a mile a day now. Hip, hip, hooray!!! How did you introduce weight baring walking? Was there a method to your healing madness?

Don't mean to pepper you with so many questions, but I can't find a PT who has worked with CRPS where I live. Every time I try to introduce walking again my toes swell up like two fat piggies and they burn like they are on a grill.

Thanks,
Darcy[/QUOTE

Hi Darcy,

I am still at this rehab thing. My only secret is extreme pig-headedness and a willingness to take the long view. I had one doctor say this could take a year to two years and I've gone with that. I am just relentless about getting better and will accept any improvement I can get and build from there. My method requires being happy with gaining 5% or less or at the very least not losing anything. Minimizing loss and setback is actually a gain.

Start slow!!! Two weeks isn't very long and fifteen minutes an hour is a lot. I always started with five and went from there. Sometimes I had to adjust down. I was happy when I could walk fifteen minutes all at once, but only once in a day. That was after countless visits to the gym doing an elliptical called an ArcTrainer that scissors the legs without ankle movement. Very slow steady progression has been key for me. Lots of foot exercises, toe flexing, circles, alphabet etc. My foot did NOT want to be down, it would hurt. It was my surgeon who said I had to start putting it down, five minutes at a time. Initially I couldn't do this standing (blood would pool, ouch) so I would just sit and let it rest down normally. I went from two crutches to one, to cane, used a walker for a while which helped gain heel to toe movement without so much strain. The right shoes and cushion make a difference. I had to let go of the fact that sensible shoes I wore before that ought to be comfortable just weren't working with my new mechanics.

Bummer on the pool! Is it the temperature? I started in a Y kids pool heated to 88. Now I tolerate all temps which I accomplished by putting my foot in the sink at incrementally colder or warmer temperatures. Still can't do super hot for too long or I swell which is uncomfortable. My best advice is to push as a way to test your limits but not to the point of misery. You will have good days and bad days. I still do. Just aim for getting a little better at a time and listen to your body. It is really hard to restrain the impulse to overdo but I would've really backtracked multiple times if I hadn't. Lastly, love on yourself and that foot. Find a pain therapist if you need. I did and was really glad, she helped immensely with feelings of loss and despair. Should've gone sooner!

My mile came slow, after making it down the drive, next door, to the mail box, etc. Be relentless, don't give up even when you don't seem to get anywhere. You are at least preventing atrophy and keeping mental and physical strength. You WILL progress, you know that from the two weeks no pain then walked too much business. PM me if you want, I don't mind questions and take care.

Sending Healing Love,
Littlepaw

Last edited by Littlepaw; 03-08-2015 at 06:53 PM. Reason: spelling
Littlepaw is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
allentgamer (03-15-2015), visioniosiv (07-15-2015)