View Single Post
Old 03-09-2015, 07:50 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Before reading what I have to say, keep in mind that anything you read here is worth exactly what you pay for it. Also, welcome to NT! With that said, MS lesions can occur nearly anywhere in the brain or spinal cord. Based solely on what I have read and what my neurologist has said to me, they are commonly found in the periventricular white matter and the corpus callosum.

However, there are other disorders or diseases that can also cause things that appear to be lesions in those areas on an MRI. So the radiologist is not going to be able to give a diagnosis based simply on what is visible on the scan and where it is. They will give an impression of what they think is most likely...based mainly on location, shape, and factors such as age of patient. But they will almost always make a statement to the effect that "clinical correlation" is needed for diagnosis. In other words, the radiologist has not seen your full chart, they are not reviewing your blood tests, spinal tap results, or your description of symptoms. They give an idea of what they are seeing in the report, and expect your neurologist to follow that up by matching what is on the scans to your symptoms and other test results.

So with all of that said, you need to find a doctor you trust. You and/or your insurance company are paying too much money for you to walk out of the office not happy with the service and attention you received. Find somebody to drive you as far as you have to go to get a doctor who you believe in, that will listen to you, and who will personally review the MRI scans you bring in on a CD and compare them to your symptoms and results.

Life is too short to wander around hoping bad doctors will change next time we see them. We pay too much for care to feel that way, so fire your doctor if you need to, get a full copy of your records including your scans on CD/DVD, and all other test results. Then go find a good doctor.

The second part of that is to educate yourself, and speak up for yourself when talking to the doctors. Don't let them leave the room until you are satisfied with their answers. If you educate yourself before you go in, and take a list of questions with you, it will help keep you focused on the things you want to ask them about. Good luck, and keep asking questions here! There are some great people here who can help you if you let them.
TXBatman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Judy2 (03-11-2015), Lynn (03-10-2015), msbluis (03-10-2015), SallyC (03-09-2015)