View Single Post
Old 03-09-2015, 08:03 PM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeD View Post
Im a middle age/single living with older family members.

i dont wish to say too much publicly, but my employer was reorganizing to "get rid of the lower producers" so i reluctantly went on LTD as i felt with my health condition i could not do the new job requirements and the environment was not supportive. (I was using much fmla time which is the only accommodation they offered)

I cant afford to live on disability (or the new salary they were offering me), but i feel its an only option as i need the medicare to pay my medical bills which are steep. With my legitimate health limitations i don't think i would be able to get another job without accommodations and even then i dont know if it would succeed.

My DI wants me to apply for SSDI. Part of me is concerned about the label. or applying and failing.the other part of me is wondering if applying for ssdi,and getting the medicare would allow me to have a small business part time on the side and generate up to 1000 a month. if the small business grew such that it could generate more, then i could go off and be eligible for obama care. if not then i would still be able to stay alive at a substandard level.

my DI has a company they recommend to help with ssdi but im curious if it is better to not to use them and i don't want to unintentionally have to pay fees i don't have.

I noticed those on this forum have been helpful with those considering ssdi.
any thoughts you have are appreciated.
thank you
Most LTD carriers require beneficiaries to apply for SSDI within a certain time frame and if they fail to do so, they forfeit their LTD benefits.

You REALLY need to read your policy very carefully. ERISA policies in particular are a nightmare... Often disability benefits that have any mental health factors will only last six to 12 months.

Expect to be followed and/or videotaped at any point by the LTD carrier. They may question your neighbors, former co-workers, etc.

Usually the LTD carrier will offer to cover your legal expenses to the referral. (whether this is a good idea is a matter of opinion.)

You might even be entitled to hire an attorney or service at no cost (depending on your LTD benefit compared to SSDI benefit) since the attorney gets paid first and the LTD gets the balance.

Depending on your age, type of work and disability, the SSDI process might take a few months or could take battling for years. The details make all the difference.

Don't expect that you can be approved for SSDI and then fly under the radar by making $1000 per month (just slightly less than the SGA amount). If you wanted to either find a job or start a business, you should look into the Ticket To Work Program which would offer you some protections while trying to adapt to the workplace.
LIT LOVE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Enna70 (03-10-2015)