View Single Post
Old 03-09-2015, 08:07 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

kdodrill,

Okay so you had periodontal disease which is a progressive bacterial infection that takes time to develop and then can be difficult to eradicate. Prior to the extractions for however many years, your oral health was in jeopardy and during that period the bone began to break down. You had to have a very advanced case and a fair amount of bone loss for the oral surgeon to decide to remove all of your teeth not long after the scaling and antibiotics were done. It sounds to me like who ever did the scaling procedure did not realize how advanced your periodontal disease really was.

The removal of your teeth was necessary but please understand that there are no longer any teeth present to support the density or curvature of the bone structure. So the bony ridge is most likely fairly thin and flat in many places. This is what typically happens to the bone when all of the teeth are removed. However, some people do okay when that occurs while others do not. Sometimes the bone loss can be severely worn down in areas that cover some nerves. When that occurs, those nerves are no longer protected by bone so they are vulnerable to anything that irritates them.

I read on the headache forum that you were seeing a neurologist in 2 weeks. A neurologist cannot check your oral health or the fit of your denture. So most likely he will just prescribe medications. I sincerely urge you to see a dentist or oral surgeon for the panoramic xray to determine the health and structure of the bone. Also, it is very important for denture wearers to have an oral screening once a year to see if there are any abnormalities occurring and to check the denture for fit, wear pattern on the teeth and proper occlusion.

I hope this information is helpful to you.
I wish you all the best.
Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdodrill View Post
I do not wear them at night. I was wrong on how long I have had dentures. In 2009 I was fighting periodontal disease. Did not have any root canals or crowns. After gum scaling, antibiotics the oral surgeon thought it would be best to remove. So we did. I was put under had uppers and lowers removed at one time a temporary dentures for almost a year then my permanent ones.

With the removal of my teeth it has done away with my grinding and TMJ.

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
EnglishDave (03-10-2015)