View Single Post
Old 03-09-2015, 08:13 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default College student too

Hi...I realized you posted this awhile ago but I'm lurking around the board as well so figured I'd respond.

I'm in school currently and it's definitely a struggle with PCS. For background, I got concussed 8 months ago and have constant mild headaches and eye issues as my main problems.

School can be a really good place, as there are some services that are more readily available. Counseling is a free service at a lot of universities and it has helped me through some of the anxiety. Most universities will also have medical transport services if you need to get to a doctor's appointment. Given your symptoms, getting a doctor to write a note saying that you should be allowed extended time on homework, tests, and projects could be very helpful. You can take this note to the disability services office, but I've just been dealing directly with the professors and it's been fine. That way, if you have a rough week, you don't need to stay up late working and cause more problems through that. I'm still figuring out how to balance what I can do and had a bad relapse last semester so do be careful!

As to your specific questions, I have been encouraged by a physical therapist to exercise and get my heart rate up for ~20 min/day. She did caution that jogging can be difficult given the up and down motion. I haven't had trouble jogging, and would imagine it's worth trying for you. Similarly, driving is something I've gotten back into. I don't like to drive long distances so just drive around town and it's been fine. If you go to an ocular/occupational therapist, they can do a test to see if your response time is fast enough for driving, although that's not the same as turning the neck. I'm not in a relationship so can't advise on those questions, sorry!
Nema is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote