Thread: Jaw pain?
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2015, 09:42 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Mytoothhurts2,

I'm sorry to hear that you are continuing to have dental problems. Which dentist has determined that the second molar needs a root canal or extraction? How and why was that "definitive" diagnosis made? Can you post the xray of it here? Before you do anything with that second molar, you need to have a definitive reason to take any drastic measure with that tooth.

I feel as though you have been tossed around a bit by these dentists. Do you get that same sense? Are they all affiliated within the same practice?

Removing the lower second molar will not cause permanent chewing difficulties. The thing to be most concerned about is how removing the lower molar will affect the upper molar that is above it in the upper arch. Teeth need other teeth to occlude with to prevent them from drifting out of place. If the upper molar is occluding with this second molar and the second molar is removed and not replaced, then the upper molar can drift down which can result in significant bone loss. I am not aware of what other teeth you are missing other than the wisdom tooth.

The other issue as you are finding out with that other root canaled tooth is that when you retain an unhealthy tooth, you are in fact retaining a chronic problem which can spread beyond the tooth.

It bothers me very much that any dentist would make the patient feel stupid for questioning the dental treatment. You have every right to be fully informed of what the procedure entails which includes the factual risks associated with retaining diseased teeth. The endodontist is in the root canal business and he earns his living at selling people root canal therapy. It is important that you put aside the fact that he is a dentist/doctor and not assume he has your best interest at heart. This does not mean he is a bad person. It just means that he cannot offer you anything other than what he does for a living. People come to him for one thing... a root canal.

I cannot advise you what to do as only you can decide that for yourself. I can encourage you to read what I post here about root canaled teeth and allow the information to empower you to speak more effectively with your dentists. You need to ask your dentist what all of your options are including replacement options for teeth that you are considering removing. Only you can decide what you feel is best for you.

I have no affiliation with either of these practitioners but I will once again post two sites that offer great explanation about root canaled teeth. If you truly want to be informed because you are concerned about the systemic risks of retaining unhealthy teeth, then please read through this information. Otherwise, the only thing you have to go on is what your dentists are selling you.

http://naturaldentistry.us/category/...l-controversy/

http://www.cdchealth.com/rootcanalsmaycauseillness.html

I know this situation is very difficult... I wish I could offer you more. But it is up to you to either become more informed or not.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mytoothhurts2 View Post
Hi, I haven't posted for a while dealing with ongoing pain and being bounced around from oral surgeon to dentist to endodontist. Anyway, turns out the issue is the 2nd molar next to where the wisdom tooth was extracted. It needs either a root canal or to be pulled (I'm not 100% convinced that the filling shouldn't be redone but no one will do it). As I'm still having problems with the one root canal I already have, I'm not really keen to have one done in the 2nd molar so I'm considering having it pulled. Do you think my chewing will be much affected without the 2nd & 3rd molars on my lower left side? I am really missing chewing on that side at the moment and don't want to have to always chew on the right side of my mouth (I have all my other teeth). The endodontist REALLY wants me to have a root canal and made me feel a bit stupid for saying I would think about it. Bryanna, I know you are not a fan of root canals - what would you advise? Thanks

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote