View Single Post
Old 03-11-2015, 02:56 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by en bloc View Post
Healthgirl,,

Another thing I should say. The Plaquenil is used to treat the Sjogren's, not directly treat the neuropathy. If she feels the neuropathy is caused by the Sjogren's, then I guess she feels treating the underlining cause will help the SFN. It's actually not very effective in this manner. If your main symptoms are neuropathy related, then stick with something that is KNOWN to help immune mediated SFN, like IVIG.

Plaquenil is primarily used to help with some of the symptoms of Sjogren's...like reduce fatigue, and joint pain. It is also thought it help slow progression (but not well documented for this). It is not expected to halt the disease process and reverse your SFN. So if this is what your doctor is thinking, then I wouldn't advise trying it. But if you want to help slow progression, modulate your immune system a bit to help your fatigue (if you have it) and joint pain, then it may help. But it takes months to build up and become therapeutically effective and likewise has a long half-life (30-60 days) so takes a long time to get out of your system as well even after stopping it.

Just a little more information so you can better assess whether this medicine is right for you.
It's funny, well not really, but 2 rheumatologists have asked me if my neuros have tried IVIG even though I don't have a found cause for the neuropathy and just the high ANA.
When I ask them why they won't try it, they say because they haven't found a cause yet. So now I'm being told even if my sjrogens is positive all that will be offered is plaquenil or rituxin. I wish someone would let me try the IVIG to see if it would help. I feel like I'm on a sinking ship and they are just watching me drown sometimes.
Healthgirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote