View Single Post
Old 03-12-2015, 09:49 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

I'll ask about the board. He does use a band at home with the stretching exercises each day. He just graduated from using a walker to a cane. It's exciting to see progress but sometimes it feels so slow.
We try to go to the local YMCA a couple times a week when we can, because it lets him build overall muscle strength without pain. And he loves to swim, so it provides "fun" therapy. That's important too!

Thanks so much for your help and support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepaw View Post
Hi Swimtime,

Makes sense on the ultrasound. I wasn't thinking about the hardware, sorry about that. A Baps Board is a wide oval board that sits on top of a half sphere. The position and size of the sphere is changable and increases the amount worked by muscles in the lower leg as you rock the board or make circles keeping the edge to the ground. It is great for building ankle strength and stability. I started on it while sitting and eventually moved up up to standing on it. It is a unique piece of equipment and impossible to replicate. We also did resistance exercises with therabands. All those muscles, tendons and ligaments have to be worked and ready for regular weight bearing so PT should be able to justify this too.

Has Matthew tried using a walker? So not cool of course but it might be great at home. What I liked about it was I could make a normal heel to toe motion while walking that felt more natural and I think prepared me better for walking without assistance. Made for a gradual transition because I just leaned on it less and less over time. Mine was a four wheeler and we have hardwood. On regular carpet I don't know, low pile like hotels have was fine.

Littlepaw,
swimtime is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote