View Single Post
Old 03-12-2015, 11:52 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I see the incident of burning sensation and paraesthesia for Plaquenil was at the very bottom of the list at only .23%, so that seems to be very rare if less than 1/4 of 1 percent. It also doesn't say what dosing was used for the adverse reaction list, but I'd assume they used the malaria dosing (which is significantly higher than that for autoimmune disease), since that's what Plaquenil was originally made for.

Again, I would ask why they are not considering IVIG with the positive skin biopsy and high ANA. Those with idiopathic SFN would get it with just the positive skin biopsy. They know that immune mediated SFN responds well to IVIG. Maybe they will tell you why they are holding back this treatment.

I doubt I would take Plaquenil (even though risks are low) to treat neuropathy...it's just not effective for that (or even documented to be used to treat neuropathy). Just my two cents.

I really should add this: They typically don't just start with IVIG. They usually try the Neurontin, Lyrica, and Cymbalta route first, then if no help or not tolerated, they will consider bigger guns like IVIG. So maybe they are going to try other meds first.
en bloc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
dogwalker (03-12-2015)