View Single Post
Old 03-12-2015, 03:19 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default My Story

Hello, My name is Kimberly, I'm soon to be 55 and I've been living with RSD/CRPS for just over two years now. I had been dealing with a Morton's neuroma for several years and tried a variety of treatments before I ran out of options. I was unable to wear "real" shoes, and spent my life in flip flops (even in the winter). For 18 months I was in and out of a boot for a broken toe and hairline fracture. My podiatrist recommended surgery to remove the neuroma. Sign me up! Anything to be rid of this pain and wear shoes again. I had the surgery in February 2013. My surgery went ok for the first couple weeks. My first two/three post operative appointments were unremarkable. However, by my fourth visit, the doctor realized I was experiencing a degree of pain, discoloration and swelling above and beyond what was typical for my surgery. He diagnosed me with RSD and sent me for a second opinion with an anesthesiologist who had a great deal of experience with RSD. I have been very fortunate to have been diagnosed and treated early. I've had several rounds of sympathetic nerve blocks, physical therapy with a therapist who was also experienced in treating patients with RSD, and pain medication. I'm down from 1800 mg to 600 mg of gabapentin a day and continue to experience a good quality of life. I've had no major flair ups lately and only experience a modicum of pain when its cold outside or I bump my foot on something. I know I've been blessed to be in the right place at the right time. I belong to a local RSD support group which has been a godsend.

I've been diagnosed with a rotator cuff injury that responded well to PT and cortisone injections, until now. I'm having an MRI next week to determine the extent of the injury and whether or not surgery is required. Knowing what I know about RSD/CRPS, I'm afraid surgery may cause it to spread to my left shoulder. My orthopedic doctor indicated we can mitigate the chances with a nerve block in advance of the surgery (if I have to have it) and I will, of course, confer with my anesthesiologist. But I'm wondering what experiences any of you have had with surgery AFTER your diagnosis.

Hugs to all!
SkyDiversMom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote