View Single Post
Old 03-12-2015, 03:57 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimtime View Post
Hi all,
I need advice for my 13 year old son Matthew with CRPS in his left foot. He is transitioning from pool to gym for physical therapy. He can walk short distances now (20 feet or so) but usually needs to sit and recover for a while afterwards. He is scheduled for a physical therapy session later today (in the gym) but I'm kind of worried about if he's really ready for a 30-45 minute session. They want to push him to get the CRPS in remission, but I'm worried about causing a flare. How do you gage what you're ready for, and what is too much? The therapy place has to show a certain amount of progress in order for the insurance to continue to pay for therapy sessions.

Thanks for any advice you can give.
Just make sure they don't overdo it on him. A member of my RSD support group (17 yo girl) was diagnosed in her ankle when she was 13 and during some extremely "brutal" physical therapy, it began to spread up her leg. So be careful. Post surgery PT and RSD PT are two different things, make sure they do it right.

As for the mirror therapy, my therapist used this on me (and I'm 54!) and it really does work. My "good" foot would do the exercises while my "bad" foot did nothing. But watching my good foot in the mirror tricked my brain into believing my bad foot was working out - without experiencing pain. My bad foot actually felt tired even though it hadn't done anything.

Good luck to your son.
SkyDiversMom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Littlepaw (03-12-2015)