View Single Post
Old 03-13-2015, 02:50 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canagirl View Post
Does anybody identify with the skin shake ( or pulse of its own). This one really gets me
I have twitches all over now. For the past 30 years, they were isolated to my left leg only, but now I feel them in a variety of places...including my back muscles along my spine where they do indeed seem to pulse.

When I heard the term "Benign Fasciculation Syndrome" several years, that's what I believed I had that was affecting my left leg. Now, with the SFN diagnosis, everything is up in the air.

You talked about your heart pounding. When my SFN symptoms flare badly, my heart definitely does start to pound. I'm thinking this is my body's response to the discomfort with epinephrine production. I have a standing "as needed" prescription for propranolol (a beta blocker) which does seem to help when I'm really bad.

And of course when all this horrendously bad stuff is happening, my anxiety goes through the roof making my SFN symptoms even worse. There's definitely a snowball effect at work. I work really hard to try to keep my mind off of my symptoms when they're really bad.

You might want to read through this thread on a "Benign Fasciculation Syndrome" website. As the name indicates, BFS results in harmless twitching. The important thing on this thread is the discussion of anxiety and the toll it takes when you have neuro problems like ours. (Note, when you see references to "THE DISEASE I DON'T HAVE", they're talking about ALS.)

http://www.bfsrecovery.com/forum/vie....php?f=6&t=114
janieg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Enna70 (03-13-2015), zkrp01 (03-14-2015)